Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
Graduate Research Assistant | August 2019 - Present
- 3D Compton image reconstruction with scene data fusion using a free-moving gamma-ray detector and auxillary contextual sensor package.
- Analyzing data from Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station parking lot with contaminated vehicles that were used in site cleanup.
Los Alamos National Laboratory
Space Science & Applications Intern | May 2020 - August 2020
- Project title: Multi-pixel CdTe detector for space environment measurements
- Participated in the NSSC-LANL Keepin Summer Program - a seven week extended research internship that provides a survey of the national laboratory activities and mission space, focused research projects with a strong connection to nonproliferation science and technology, and a companion symposium series linking nuclear security science, technology, and policy.
- Wrote code to generate a signal in a CdTe detector with an active guard ring.
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Safeguards & Security Technology Intern | May 2019 - August 2019
- Project title: Improving Facility-Specific Safeguards with Data Analytics
- End of Summer Poster.
- Investigated current international safeguards methods for research reactors.
- Collected data from HFIR-REDC Pu-238 production process to determine characteristics of normal operation at a research reactor with adjacent hot cell facilities.
- Researched OCR technology to determine best tool to transcribe PDF data.
- Assembled a pandas dataframe of data collected in preliminary data hunt.
- Visualized data using python tools.
- Presented research at end of summer poster session.
Argonne National Laboratory
Nuclear Science & Engineering Intern | May 2018 - August 2018
- Developed code in Fortran to update SAS4A/SASSYS-1 input preprocessor to allow free format input.
- Extended unit testing capabilities of SAS4A/SASSYS-1.
- Discussed code changes at oral presentation.
The University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Nuclear Engineering Undergraduate Research Assistant | January 2017 - May 2019
- Evaluated transition from an open to closed nuclear fuel cycle using Cyclus.
- Assembled input files of various fuel cycles written in XML.
- Interpreted data collected from Cyclus using Python.
Materials Science & Engineering Undergraduate Research Assistant | May 2015 - January 2017
- End of Summer Poster.
- Synthesized a sample for study using conventional solid-state synthesis.
- Conducted an in-situ high temperature x-ray diffraction (XRD) study and analyzed XRD patterns.
- Managed an x-ray diffraction instrument.
- Created and presented a poster with a summary of all work and results at The Minerals, Metals, and Materials Society national conference in 2016.
Nuclear Safety Analysis Intern | May 2017 - August 2017
- Analyzed Time to Core Boil (TTCB) for various RCS conditions in GOTHIC thermal-hydraulic code resulting in more accurate TTCB estimates.
- Communicated with Surry personnel to present TTCB analysis and results in a way that would be most easily used by plant operators.
- Updated GOTHIC 8.0 to 8.2 and benchmarked important cases.
- Planned after-hour social events for interns to enjoy with a $1000 budget provided by Dominion.
Nuclear Spent Fuel Intern | August 2016 - December 2016
- Created a database of Millstone Power Station spent fuel that allows engineers to extract data for dry storage more efficiently, reducing engineering work time by at least 50%.
- Evaluated source range lengths for earlier cask loading of non-fuel core components.
- Examined fuel anomalies in North Anna fuel assemblies to qualify them for dry storage.
- Compiled design inputs to allow construction of a new Independent Spent Fuel Storage Installation pad at Surry.
- Identified issue with a group of assemblies that were intended to be loaded into a dry cask.
Nuclear Core Design Intern | January 2016 - May 2016
- Reported burnup, isotopic, and monthly core follow data and ensured plant was operating as expected.
- Investigated secondary source assemblies and determine=ed that they would need to be replaced earlier than previously thought.
- Reported the startup physics testing for Surry Unit 2.
- Used CASMO to model new Surry Power Station fuel assemblies.
- Analyzed control rod drop times during startup physics testing at North Anna Unit 2.